Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Whitney's Internship Comes to a Close

Over the past fourteen weeks, I have thoroughly enjoyed the great opportunity of working as the State Personnel Department’s Human Resources Intern. This internship has been a very beneficial experience. I have rotated between seven different state agencies and gained a lot from each rotation. This internship has great value in it. Anyone who participates in this internship has the ability to learn and experience many aspects of HR that cannot be learned in the classroom. I feel that I have grown a lot through this internship and have gained so much more than I ever would have in the classroom. I now have some real, tangible experience compared to a regular classroom setting.

I would definitely recommend this internship to anyone who is interested in the Human Resources field. During this internship, an intern will have the opportunity to shadow different departments of HR including benefits, employee relations, compensation, recruiting, and much more. An intern also gets the opportunity to shadow and work along different HR generalists in the field. This is something other internships cannot offer. The state has so many different agencies, that an intern will see and learn many different perspectives of an HR Generalist’s job. Each rotation within the agencies also offers different projects for learning. I have worked on projects such as employment checks, professional references, job descriptions, filing background checks, exit interview surveys, diversity, advertising research and so much more. An intern also gets to work on the HRIS PeopleSoft from time to time, which is a huge advantage in moving forward with an HR career.


Like I said, I have really enjoyed my spring internship, I have learned a lot, met a lot of people, and grown a lot in my knowledge of HR. This internship is an excellent way to learn Human Resources and gain experience along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment