Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Intern Ryan takes on IN State Dept of Health & Projects with Talent Acquisition

A few weeks ago, I explored another unique agency, the Indiana State Department of Health (ISDH), as a Human Resource (HR) Intern with the Indiana State Personnel Department. Upon arrival, I was introduced to an extremely welcoming HR team: Brian, John and Kim.

My first project involved developing a survey for ISDH supervisors, which assessed their understanding and compliance with Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA). Over the course of the week, our team continued to tweak the survey until it was ready to be distributed. This gave me a great opportunity to not only work on my design and development skills, but also to gain a better understanding of FMLA and how it affects an agency.

In addition, I was tasked with taking an email regarding an upcoming “Lunch and Learn” for our Wellness Program, and transforming it into something that would motivate ISDH employees to attend. I took this email and created a flyer that not only provided the essential information, but also was appealing and would grab the reader’s attention. I appreciated the opportunity to utilize my creativity!

The next week, I was partnered with my good friend Caitlin in Talent Acquisition. She tasked me with “resume mining” for Nurse Practitioners as part of a Strategic Staffing Plan.  Utilizing internal and external resources, I used my best judgement to provide potential candidates that displayed the desired education, experience and background.  On top of this, I was given a list of Indiana colleges/universities to contact about starting/strengthening a networking relationship with the State of Indiana. I researched the schools to verify they were accredited and provided their Careers Services departments with information about our nursing opportunities to disseminate to their students and alumni.  (Nursing Careers with the State of Indiana)

After finishing up my work with Caitlin, Mary (the other intern) and I partnered together to accomplish a huge list of small tasks assigned by all members of Talent Acquisition. This included anything from making calls or researching programs, to writing documentation. Essentially, this was designed to mimic “a day in the life of a Recruitment Consultant.” By the end of the day, Mary and I had completed almost all of the extra projects that our consultants needed to get done. Next week I will be heading over to the Adjutant Generals Office (AGO). I am extremely excited to see what they have to offer!

If you are interested in working for the State of Indiana, click this link: Careers.IN.gov


Until next time…
Ryan Lattimore
HR Intern
Indiana State Personnel Department 


No comments:

Post a Comment