Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Intern Mary takes on AGO & Humana Vitality


Greetings,

These past few weeks have flown by! I can't believe that I am starting the 11th week of my internship. With that being said, these past two weeks have been so exciting! I got to work closely with the embedded human resources team within the Indiana Adjutant General's Office (AGO), which is responsible for the Indiana National Guard. 

The first week, I had the opportunity to take on my first competency project. I looked into four positions and reviewed the discovery sessions that were previously completed.  The objective of the discovery sessions was to find the best outcomes or goals for each position. I gathered all of the data from the discovery session and tried to see what duties employees said they were doing that aligned with the job description. Once I made these parallels, I was able to identify things that potentially may need to be changed on the job description or if an employee was performing duties that should be performed by another position. From the data that I aggregated, I was then able to find competencies that best fit each position. This was one of the coolest experiences I have had thus far. It was my task to draw conclusions from the information that was provided to me. The team allowed me to run with what I thought would be best and present my conclusions. In the end, I was very happy to see that some of the competencies had overlapped with competencies they had selected for those positions in years past. 

Last week, I traveled with April, the AGO HR Director, to different military locations to aid employees with engaging in the state’s wellness program. While we were at these locations, we had the chance to meet with employees and discuss their health insurance options, as well as what they can do to reach silver status within our wellness portal. This process was very interesting because there were different barriers at different locations. It forced us to be strategic with how we were reaching out to individuals to spread the word. While we were at these unique locations, I also had the opportunity to tour the grounds. This was the first time I had ever been to a military base. It was very cool how each base was different. I got to tour three different armories, the Hoosier Youth Challenge Academy, and an air base. 


These past two weeks were filled with so many unique experiences. I am so thankful for the AGO Human Resource Team and the projects they prepared. They were so unique and allowed me to see a different side of Human Resources. 

-Mary the Intern


No comments:

Post a Comment