Thursday, April 14, 2016

Intern Ryan Lattimore Experiences Adjutant General's Office (AGO) & Says Farwell

Greetings,

A few weeks ago, I was shipped out to the Adjutant Generals Office (AGO), which happens to be my favorite agency at the State of Indiana. On my first day, I arrived at AGO and met with April, the HR Generalist. After meeting the staff, we jumped in the car and headed to Terre Haute to help our staff better understand their healthcare opportunities. The base we arrived at was Indiana Air National Guard. I had the opportunity to meet with multiple state employees and answer their healthcare questions to the best of my knowledge. I also received the opportunity to tour the grounds and see the history of the Indiana Air National Guard.

On my second day at AGO, we took a trip down to the Muscatatuck Urban Training Center (MUTC) and Atterbury. At Muscatatuck, I met with a large group of employees and handed out all sorts of HumanaVitality goodies to the staff. Aside from answering questions about HumanaVitality and our silver status portal, I also had an opportunity to tour the campsite. This area was huge! The entire site was set up to mimic international buildings as a way to prepare troops before being shipped overseas. Their sites ranged from an underwater city, subway station, a four story hospital, and much more. Many of these areas were marked with red flags, signaling that a live drill was occurring on that particular site. After finishing up at Muscatatuck, we drove directly to Camp Atterbury. Since we were running short on time, we took a tour the facility and meet some key staff members. My favorite part of Atterbury was their gun range. They had one of the largest ranges I have ever seen, especially the sniper ranges.


On my last day, we took a trip to the Hoosier Youth Challenge Academy (HYCA). This was extremely exciting for me because my first project with the State Personnel Department included a climate survey from HYCA. It was great to see the facility in person and have the opportunity to see our potential progress first hand! By this time, I was practically fluent with HumanaVitality. I enjoyed visiting all four facilities because I got out of my comfort zone. I was interacting in an environment that was fresh and abstract.

After finishing my final agency, I returned back to Department of Health (ISDH) and State Personnel Department (SPD) for a few weeks. At ISDH, I had the chance to view the results of my Family Medical Leave (FML) Survey that I developed for their supervisors. In addition to analyzing the results, I developed a workshop for the supervisors to develop the areas they seemed to be struggling in. Back at SPD, I was assigned a project from our Deputy Director Stefanie. My project consisted of integrating SPD data into an efficient and consistent metrics dashboard. 

As much as I hate to say it, my internship has finally come to an end. I have had a remarkable experience working for the State of Indiana. I never imagined myself gaining this extensive amount of experience in just three months. I have practically quadrupled my network connections and gained many friendships along the way. To say the least, it’s going to feel odd not driving to work every morning. I would like to thank everyone at the State of Indiana who has taken time out of their busy schedules to work with me and keep me engaged. Each individual is responsible for my progression through personal and professional development. I say my final farewell as I continue my career path into my senior year at IUPUI. Thank you for this wonderful opportunity.

Ryan Lattimore
HR Intern


Indiana State Personnel 

No comments:

Post a Comment