Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Payton's Intern Guide to SPD

Hello Everyone!

During the past few weeks I have had the opportunity to work on multiple projects in the Talent Acquisition (TA) division as well as travel to different agencies to see what their HR professionals did from day to day.

Throughout the past few weeks my fellow intern, Shae Siokos, and I have been continuously working on a Social Media plan for TA. Working on this has given me the chance to view social media as a recruiting tool rather than just for personal uses. We also have been working on recruiting for different jobs for TA.

Two weeks ago we visited with the Indiana School for the Blind and Visually Impaired (ISBVI). When we arrived I was amazed at how beautiful the school’s campus was, and felt lucky to visit there for the day. We shadowed the school’s HR director and had the chance to learn about the different tasks and challenges she faces regularly. This helped a lot because it put into perspective what a typical day in the HR world could look like. We also helped recruit and get the word out for the school’s career fair! Next week we will get to go to the actual career fair and see how it works from an employer’s side.

Earlier this week we met with a System Consultant. This was a very interesting meeting because we learned about HR metrics and how important they are. We learned how data can really improve a business or organization’s effectiveness and efficiency when you ask the right questions and observe the right correlations. Before this meeting I didn’t realize how much metrics could help the different departments in HR, but afterwards it sparked my interest and caused me to think of HR from many different perspectives. 

This past Tuesday we visited the Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT). We job shadowed the HR Manager and the Executive Recruiter, and learned what they do from day to day. We also got the chance to start I-9 audits, which was an interesting project to work on. There were four binders full of I-9s that needed to be checked for completion and separated from the employees that currently work for INDOT, and from the employees that have separated from the state. I’m looking forward to going back next week to finish these audits!

I’m so grateful for everyone who is bringing us interns in, letting us tag along and giving us important advice, it helps a lot! I can’t wait for the next few weeks!

Payton Reardon
HR Intern


State Personnel Department 

No comments:

Post a Comment