Friday, June 6, 2014

Sadie Works with DWD

I had the pleasure of spending the last two weeks learning with the HR ladies of the Indiana Department of Workforce Development (DWD). While I was in DWD, I worked with their recruiter to put together a toolkit for the hiring managers in the WorkOne field offices. WorkOne centers are a huge part of DWD’s system and are facilities that try to get unemployed or underemployed people back into the workforce. They help people seek jobs, get information for learning opportunities, get the right skills they need for a new career, and help them file their unemployment. While I was with DWD I had the opportunity to visit one of the busiest WorkOne centers in the state. We went to get a better understanding of the job duties and skills needed for the positions within the facilities. The information that we received will be used to develop better job descriptions for the positions, as well as help in the creation of interview questions to assist hiring managers with their hiring process to ensure they are hiring the right person for each position.

These new job descriptions and interview questions are going to be put in the new toolkit I have been working on for the hiring managers. The managers are going to be able to use the toolkit to help them through each step of the hiring process. There is information in there from how to submit a request for a new position, to reference checking, to interviewing information. This toolkit should hopefully alleviate quite a few questions that the managers have when hiring new employees.

Working with DWD has been a wonderful learning experience for me. I never realized just how much work went into hiring a new employee. Thanks to the wonderful HR staff in DWD and their recruiter, I now feel that I have many tools that I can take with me when I enter the HR world. I’m excited to get back to SPD for my next two weeks. Among other things, I will be job shadowing benefits, compensation, and employee relations. This should be very interesting!


No comments:

Post a Comment