Friday, May 30, 2014

SPD Welcomes Intern Sadie!

Hello, everyone! I’m Sadie Flynn and I am the new summer intern here at the Indiana State Personnel Department. Let’s get this started off with a little information about myself. I just graduated from the IU Kelley School of Business downtown at IUPUI with a Bachelor’s Degree in both Human Resource Management an
d Business Management! Woohoo! With that being said, I still have a few classes to pass over the summer before I can actually receive my diploma. I am super excited about this opportunity with the State Personnel Department, and I am ready to learn as much as possible.

                I was introduced to this internship by one of my HR professors. She was always sending out emails about internship opportunities to her students. This internship stood out to me in particular because interns get to rotate through several different agencies to get first hand HR experience, the size of the organization is about as big as it gets, and I had heard about how great of an internship it was from previous interns. Did I mention that it’s paid? How could I pass up this chance to soak up as much knowledge as possible before I get out into the real world in August? I knew this internship would be my gateway into the HR world.

                I have only been here for a week, and feel as if I have learned more in this short time, than I did in full semester of college. For this week I was with the Talent Acquisition Division working with Nicole Russell and her amazing team of recruiters. They have been very welcoming and have provided me with a wealth of PeopleSoft knowledge. I have learned how to create vacancy request and a new job posting, how to screen and route job requisitions, how to perform an automated background check, how to send out an automated offer letter, and how to prepare a candidate for hire.  Working with this software is something I was really looking forward to doing. It is very critical to have experience with an HRIS system within the HR field, so I know this will be a great tool to carry with me. It is overwhelming the amount of work they put into hiring for just one position, and they have to do it for thousands. What this agency does on a daily basis is amazing, and it’s been a great learning experience for me. I am so excited to get to the other agencies to see what they do, and to gain even more knowledge for myself. I will be familiarizing myself with the Indiana Department of Workforce Development (DWD) for the next two weeks. I can’t wait to join DWD’s HR team to further my education in the HR world!


No comments:

Post a Comment