Wednesday, May 22, 2013

New Intern Nicole Cloyd shares her tips for finding an internship



Hello everyone!  My name is Nicole Cloyd and I am currently a senior at the Kelley School of Business in Indianapolis where I am majoring in both human resource management and business management.  I am excited to be starting my internship this summer with the Indiana State Personnel department!  I have lived near Indianapolis my entire life and am truly honored to be able to help serve the state of Indiana.  Through this blog I hope to help other college students understand what being an intern with the Indiana State Personnel department is like and I also plan to share my exciting experiences.

I first learned of the Indiana State Personnel summer internship during one of my college classes.  A recruitment consultant from the department came to my school to speak on a panel about the state’s hiring process and to provide students with information on how to build a better resume.  Hearing the recruitment consultant speak about the state department’s hiring process and office culture really sparked my interest in the position.   Because I heard about this internship in the fall, I was sure to make note of the potential opportunity so that I could refer back to it when I began to apply to internships.  Because I was unsure when the position would be posted, I was able to find out that the department was accepting applications from my school’s career services department website.  I cannot stress enough how important it is to keep track of potential internship opportunities and then make use of your university’s career services department.  The Kelley School of Business has a great website for students to look at job postings and it was there that I was directed to the Indiana State Personnel Department’s online job bank.

Having an internship is very important in order to be competitive in the field of human resources.  I believe that this internship will provide me with an opportunity to further build on my experience within human resources.  I have been given a schedule in which I will be able to experience all of the different departments within the Indiana State Personnel Department as well as many agencies that the Personnel Department works with.  I am excited to be able to broaden my knowledge and skills while serving the state of Indiana.

No comments:

Post a Comment