Friday, May 29, 2015

Kassie's Final Rotation!

My last rotation was with the Department of Education where I focused on numerous projects, including, but not limited to, creating a workshop on developing job descriptions for hiring managers, sourcing candidates for a legal internship, and resuming my work on job classifications! Working with the Department of Education (DOE) has been very beneficial, because I am basically getting to experience what it would be like to be a HR Generalist. During my rotation with DOE, I have worked on a project that relates to almost every division in the HR field from recruitment, to employee relations, to compensation, etc. This has been an intriguing experience to not only learn the different functions of HR, but to also see the functions of the DOE.

Over the past eleven weeks, I have thoroughly enjoyed this amazing opportunity, as the State Personnel Department’s Human Resources Intern. This internship has been a very beneficial experience, and has great value in it. Anyone who participates in this internship has the ability to learn and experience many aspects of HR, which cannot be taught at a college/university. I feel that I have grown a lot through this internship and have gained so much more than I ever would have in the classroom. I now have some real, tangible experience, to accompany my degree when I graduate!

I would definitely recommend this internship to anyone who is interested in the field of Human Resources. During this internship, an intern will have the opportunity to shadow different departments of HR including benefits, employee relations, compensation, recruiting, and much more. An intern also gets the opportunity to shadow and work along different HR generalists in the field, which is something the other internships I considered did not offer. The state has so many different agencies, providing interns the opportunity to learn many different perspectives of an HR Generalist’s job. Each rotation within the agencies also offers different projects for learning. I have worked on projects such as: employment verifications, professional references, job descriptions, researching rater errors, creating workshops for employers and so much more. An intern also gets to work on the HRIS PeopleSoft from time to time, which is a huge advantage in moving forward with an HR career.


I have really enjoyed my spring internship, I have learned a lot, met a lot of people, have grown a lot in my knowledge of HR, which landed me a job opportunity in Employee Relations with the State of Indiana! I can’t wait to come back to SPD upon graduation and start my full time career with the state in HR!  This internship is an excellent way to learn Human Resources, gain experience, and hopefully start your career in the HR field!

No comments:

Post a Comment