Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Intern Nicole and Small Field Ops

The past two weeks I have been working with the Small Field Ops Division of the State Personnel Department.  The Small Field Ops Division helps to provide HR for the SPD offices that are located off-site around the state. It was interesting to learn how the Small Field Ops Division works to support those off-site locations.

During my time with the Small Field Ops Division, I was able to work on a number of different projects that I feel will add benefit to the SPD in the future.  One of the projects that I completed was a succession planning guide.  I had learned about succession planning in my college classes, but it was great to be able to apply those lessons to a real world situation. 

I also had the privilege of working within the SPD’s HRIS testing system.  The department is currently working to make their recruitment process more streamlined, so I was able to partner with IT and test the updated Talent Manager features.  It was great to learn how much teamwork goes into making an idea like an automated recruitment process into a reality.  Speaking of recruitment, I also worked to source applicants for a human resources director position and posted open state positions on various websites.

Overall, I would say these past two weeks were well spent.  I was able to further my knowledge of PeopleSoft while learning about all of the steps involved in developing a new product that changes work flow.  My next two weeks will be spent working in the human resources department located at the National Guard’s headquarters. It will be interesting to see what it is like to work on a National Guard base!


No comments:

Post a Comment